Establishing a church as a legal entity in the state of Florida requires the assistance of an attorney who is knowledgeable and experienced in Florida business law, church law, and federal tax law. Rev. John Joseph, Esq., established Church Legal Center for the sole purpose of providing legal advice and assistance focused exclusively on the needs of Florida churches. At Church Legal Center, we will take you through every necessary step to make sure your organization is properly formed in compliance with all applicable state and federal laws.
At Church Legal Center, we conduct all of the following important church incorporation tasks on your behalf:
- Representation for Unincorporated Associations
- Corporate Entity Selection and Formation
- Conduct a preliminary name search with the Florida Department Of State Division Of Corporations – We make sure the name you want for your church is available, and that you incorporate the entity in the correct legal form.
- Prepare and file Articles of Incorporation with the DOC – Florida business law requires that certain information be included in the Articles of Incorporation of every nonprofit business entity. We draft your Articles with diligence and care, making sure all necessary information is included.
- Prepare Bylaws of the church – The church’s bylaws set out the procedures for conducting business of the church. Bylaws do not need to be filed with the state, but they do need to be written in a way that complies with Florida law. Additionally, the bylaws should be written with the help of an experienced business law attorney who is well-versed in church operations to make sure they are both comprehensive and practical.
- Attend organizational Board meeting – Attorney John Joseph can be present at this initial meeting to ensure that the proper resolutions and other actions are taken up and answer any questions that the officers or directors may have.
- Set up corporate records binder – We create your corporate records binder so that your Articles of Incorporation, bylaws, annual reports and Board meeting minutes can all be kept in one place in a logical and efficient manner.
- Prepare or review Annual Report – Annual reports must be filed with the state to ensure continuation of the church’s active status. We can prepare or review and file these reports as needed.
- Apply for Federal tax-exempt status – This application must include a clause stating the required purpose of the church as well as a provision for the dissolution of assets to another tax-exempt entity in the event of church dissolution .
- Apply for Florida tax exemption – Churches may be exempt from tax on property purchases and leases, as well as sales or leases of tangible personal property. We help gather up the necessary documentation and proof to successfully apply for a Consumer’s Certificate of Exemption from the Florida Department of Revenue.
- Out of State Non-Profits wanting to do business in Florida
Incorporate Your Church with the Help of a Knowledgeable and Experienced Florida Church Law Attorney
Get your organization started off in the right direction. Call Church Legal Center at 727-410-7215 for church incorporation that is compliant with Florida business law and state and federal tax exemptions, and that prepares you to move forward in an efficient and well-organized manner.